Using Dish Tip FAQs
Q: What is the best way to start my search?
A: There are many ways to start your search. Here are some good options:
- Search by dish name: At the top of the page, there is a "Find" search box. You can start your search by entering a specific food dish, such as french toast or chicken wings or anything you feel like eating. In the search box labeled ‘Near’, enter the city name.
- Search by dish ingredient: In the ‘Find’ search box, you can enter an ingredient such as curry or nutella. Dish Tip will show the top dishes that contain those ingredients, such as nutella crepes.
- Search by cuisine: In the ‘Find’ search box, enter a cuisine type, such as Chinese or Italian. Dish Tip will show the top dishes that fit the cuisine.
- Search by flavor: In the mood for spicy food? In the ‘Find’ search box, enter a flavor, such as spicy. Dish Tip will show the top spicy dishes.
- Search by city: Just want to see what some of the top rated dishes are, regardless of cuisine or dish type? Just leave the ‘Find’ search box empty and enter your city in the ‘Near’ search box.
Here is an example of a fun search:
Q: How come some of the pictures are not the actual dish?
A: Dish Tip uses a very sophisticated algorithm to match pictures on the internet with the actual dish being viewed. However, just like any other image search that exists today, there can always be results that are not 100% accurate. In the future, we plan to allow users or restaurants to directly upload images.
Q: How do I get more information about a dish that I see?
A: Dish Tip provides a lot of information so that you can make better decisions about what to eat and where to get it. Here are some examples:
- Rating: To see a quick snapshot of how your dish ranks, you can ‘hover’ over the blue ribbon with your mouse. You can see if your dish is ranked in the top 5%, 10%, etc. You can see how many mentions the overall review is based on. You can also see the distribution of rating categories (excellent to awful).
- Corresponding restaurant location: To see a quick snapshot of how your dish ranks, you can ‘hover’ over the blue ribbon with your mouse. You can see if your dish is ranked in the top 5%, 10%, etc. You can see how many mentions the overall review is based on. You can also see the distribution of rating categories (excellent to awful).
- More detail: By ‘clicking’ the picture, you are taken to a detail page that not only includes the rating information and restaurant location, but also includes suggestions for other top rated dishes with the same name, samples of actual customer comments, additional photos, and other related dish suggestions.
Q: Can I narrow my search based on different filters?
A: Yes. First, conduct your initial search (see top of FAQs for how to search). Then, at the top of the page, you can filter by price, cuisine, taste. By ‘hovering’ over the city at the top of the page, you can also expand the search area.
Q: How does the results map work?
A: Another way to filter your search by location is by changing the search area using the results map on the upper right side of the page. Simply drag the search box to expand or narrow your location and then click on ‘search box’ right above the map.
Q: How do I report an image that is incorrect or offensive?
A: Whether on the search results page or on the dish detail page, you can click the ‘flag’ icon that appears when you ‘hover’ over the top right corner of an image.